Student research opportunities
Productising the 3Worlds Distributed Computing framework
Project Code: CECS_823
This project is available at the following levels:
Please note that this project is only for higher degree (postgraduate) applicants.
Supervisor:Dr Shayne Flint
3Worlds is an interdisciplinary research project which aims to produce a simulation and modelling software platform for ecology and environmental sciences (http://threeworlds.biologie.ens.fr/). The project is funded by the French Agency of National Research.
The 3Worlds software comprises several 'frameworks' including one which manages communicating software components distributed across a computing grid or cloud computing environment. This framework was developed some time ago and now needs to be productised in order to better satisfy the needs of 3Worlds users. This will involve the following tasks:
- Document the architecture of the 3Worlds distribution framework
- Develop a testing framework for the 3Worlds distribution framework
- Debug and enhance the 3Worlds distribution framework
- Develop a graphical user interface for managing a distributed 3Worlds simulation (using the 3Worlds User Interface framework)
- Work with 3Worlds users to ensure that the framework satisfies their needs.
Demonstrated ability to apply sound software development practices and to program in Java within a Unix/Linux environment.
- ability to collaborate with members of an international research group
- improved understanding of distributed computing system
- ability to document the architecture of an existing software system
- ability to plan and execute the testing of distributed computing systems