FAQs on Using the Labs
This webpage contains answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on
using the labs at ANU-
How do I get a student account?
Student accounts are the responsibility of the Teaching and
Learning Technology Support Unit (TLTSU).
If you want to talk to someone about your student account, see the Student
How do I backup a disk?
How do I format a disk?
Most disks now come pre-formatted. If you buy disks labelled "IBM Format"
or "IBM Formatted" or "IBM Disk", you can use them for either PC or Mac computers.
If you put your disk in the disk drive and a disk icon named
untitled appears on the desktop, your disk is
already formatted (initialised) and you do not need to format it.
If you need to format/initialise a disk (remember that this will
delete/erase anything on the disk),
On a Mac-
On a PC-
- Choose Help from the Desktop menu bar.
- When the Mac OS Help box appears, click on Index.
- When the Index box appears, click on F in the left hand window.
- Then choose Prepare a disk for use? from the right hand window.
- Then follow the instructions.
- If you are asked to choose between Mac and PC formatting, choose PC.
- Double click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop.
- Choose the A:// Disk Drive icon. (Do not
double click as this will open the disk.)
- From the File drop-down menu, choose Format.
Do students who are enrolled in COMP1900 (and therefore have access
to the Macs labs) have access to the PC labs?
All students can access any TLTSU lab. We don't discriminate by enrolled
subjects, because it's very difficult to get up-to-date information.
Last modified: Friday, 07-Feb-2003 12:39:47 EST