Welcome to Relational Databases -- COMP2400/COMP6240
- For COMP2400 students, it is available from here.
- For COMP6240 students, it is available from the here.
All the course materials (lecture slides, lab tutorials, handouts, assignments, supplementary read materials and etc.) will be available through Wattle this year.
The lecture and lab/tutorial times will be available online at ANU Timetablelling before Semester 2 starts.
- Introduction to Database Systems
- Relational Data Model
- Entity-Relationship Model
- Functional Dependencies
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Relational Algebra
- Query Processing and Optimisation
- Database Programming
- Database Transactions and Security
- NoSQL Databases (Amazon's Dynamo, Google's BigTable, MongoDB and MapReduce)
- Database systems: models, languages, design, and application programming, 6th edition, R. Elmasri and S. Navathe, Pearson, 2011
This book has also been published under a different title:
- Fundamentals of Database Systems, 6th edition, R. Elmasri and S. Navathe, Addison-Wesley, 2011
Both versions have the same content, so either is fine. Older editions (4th or 5th editions) are also fine. The textbook is available from the Co-op bookshop, and some copies are available in the reserve section of the Hancock Library.
- Assignments 34%
- SQL lab exam 12%
- Quiz 4%
- Final exam 50%