CECS Partner Xtek (located in Canberra) has successfully registered two projects with the Defence Industry Internship Progam (DIIP) which have approval for eligible students to complete as part of the Bachelor of Engineering programs. The following two projects have been approved as credit-bearing internship opportunities for CECS Students:
Project 2019.32B and 2019.32C - http://www.diip.com.au/internship-opportunities/ (Click on the link and filter by ACT for more information on each Project).
" XTEK is a technology company providing integrated solutions to government and defence. We work on UAVs, robots, armour, lightweight components and high tech sensing equipment in man and machine teaming situations at the frontline. Our goal is to support our service personnel with high tech solutions to achieve their mission. XTEK has been engaged with the DIIP for many years and it offers a great opportunity for the brightest and most innovative students to engage with Australia’s exciting defence industry working on real world engineering challenges. This is a paid opportunity to come and work with us and is a great reference for any graduating student because all students are vetted and hand selected by Defence for these opportunities."
Subject to selection by the Internship Host, to be eligible to receive academic credit tpwards your program, students will need to satisfy the following eligiblity criteria:
- Australian Citizen.
- Have a current minimum GPA of 5.0/7.0.
- Have completed at least 96 units of core courses within your Engineering program (including required MATH, PHYS and COMP courses).
- Have at least 6 units of available elective space in your program to accomodate a credit-bearing internship.
As part of the DIIP Application Process, you will also need to provide the following documentation:
- A current CV
- A personal statement addressing your suitability for the DIIP
- An academic reference (e.g. a letter of support from a project supervisor or Convenor you've worked closely with that is ideally in a discipline related to the project)
- Proof of Australian Citizenship (e.g. Birth Certificate, passport or citizenship certificate).
How to Apply:
1. Email a brief Expression of Interest to firstname.lastname@example.org addressing the above ANU eligibilty criteria and ranking your preferences for the above two approved ACT projects by midnight Sunday 25 August 2019. Your eligibility will then be reviewed by the ENGN3200 Convenor and you will be issued with a letter of approval to complete the internship for academic credit, should be be successful in winning one of the internship places).
2. Submit your formal application, including all required documentation through the DIIP application portal - https://www.diip.com.au/student-information/how-to-apply/ by the published deadline (6 September 2019).
About the DIIP :
The purpose of the DIIP is to increase awareness of career opportunities in the defence industry and provide student interns with the opportunity to gain real-world work experience in a growing sector. This is an opportunity for SMEs to showcase the defence industry as interesting and technologically advanced and to gain exposure to the skills, aptitudes and abilities of future graduates.The Program matches small to medium sized defence industry enterprises (SMEs) with students nearing the end of an undergraduate engineering degree for a paid 12-week internship (450 hours).
50 engineering internships will be offered during 2019.
Approximately 3,000 small to medium enterprises (SMEs) support the Australian Defence Force.
Students are offered a paid 12-week internship of $915 per week (37.5 hour working week, as a casual employee), contributing to an SME engineering project.
This is an opportunity to gain real-life experience using the latest cutting edge technologies with leaders within the industry.
Internship hours can be allocated towards a student’s required industry experience hours.
Students can apply for up to 5 internships, in order of preference, all around Australia.
These placements are a great addition to a student’s CV.