From 21 January to 3 February 2018, The Australian National University (ANU) College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) played host to 55 international undergraduate students from 9 different universities in China for the inaugural 2018 CECS International Summer School.
The theme of the summer school was ‘Smart Cities’ and encouraged the students to explore innovative technology-based solutions to urban challenges. Over the two weeks, students heard from guest speakers that were invited to deliver expert talks on the benefits, challenges and outcomes of building and developing a smart city. Mentors were also invited to help 10 participating teams with the preparation of their summer school project pitch, mid-term audit, and their final project presentation.
Among academic activities, social events, engineering lab tours, and industrial visits to National Computational Infrastructure (NCI) and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), one team identified a realistic security issue with Canberra Free Public Wifi system and provided a convincing investigation on why this issue needed to be addressed. They were subsequently awarded the most successful project pitch of the summer school teams.
“The team managed to design and implement a machine learning based solution in a systematic manner, and amazingly provided initial experimental results of the proposed solution. The team also demonstrated great team work during the project and gave a very intuitive and enjoyable final presentation collaboratively,” explains Dr Zhenchang Xing, Senior Lecturer, ANU Research School of Computer Science.
“We really enjoyed the experience of cooperating with group members from different universities, discovering all that Canberra and ANU has to offer and the time spent together at ANU,” said winning team member Jun Gao.
Deputy Dean of The ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science, Professor Thushara Abhayapala, along with Dr Zhenchang Xing, presented the students with their awards and spoke of all 55 students’ outstanding efforts as well as achievements.
Summer School Project Winners
1st place, Canberra Public Wi-Fi Smart Recognition System
- Jun Gao, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Qiang Liu, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Han Xue, Harbin Institute of Technology
- Yuqian Jiang, Nanjing Audit University
- Zhimin Li, Northwestern Polytechnical University
2nd place, Smart Solar Blinds
- Xiaosong Li, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Pengjun Liao, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Jiaqi Wang, Harbin Institute of Technology
- Jianqi Wang, Nanjing Audit University
- Danqi Yan, Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Shuning Zhou, Zhejiang University
3rd place, Drone Delivery
- Haipeng Wang, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Ruyao Wang, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Zhaowen Wang, Fudan University
- Jinxin Hu, Harbin Institute of Technology
- Yibing Zhao, Northwestern Polytechnical University
- Gaoyang Zhang, Ocean University of China
Additional participating universities include Chongqing University and China University of Mining and Technology.
For more information on this recent summer school or future events, please get in touch with the CECS International Marketing & Partnerships team at: email@example.com
2018 CECS International Summer School Co-Organisers