Professor Andres Cuevas, Fellow IEEE (2014),PhD (Univ Politecnica Madrid, 1980), M Eng (Telecommunications, U. Pol. Madrid, 1976) has held academic positions at the universities of Madrid (PhD 1980), Stanford (Fulbright Fellow 1989) and ANU (since 1993). He has 45 years of experience in silicon solar cell R&D and has made numerous contributions to it, both experimental and theoretical, He is one of the most influential scientists in the field, as attested by 18,000 citations to his more than 400 publications (h factor 63) and by the award of the Becquerel Prize for Outstanding Merits in Photovoltaics in 2015.
Prof. Cuevas played a significant role in the development of the Bachelor of Engineering degree at the Australian National University. In addition to developing and teaching many courses on electronics and renewable energy, he held leadership positions in both undergraduate and postgraduate education, such as Convenor of the Graduate Program in Engineering, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Engineering, Head of Engineering, Convenor of the Bachelor of Engineering (Research and Development) and Discipline Chair of Renewable Energies. He also taught courses on Electronic Devices at the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid from 1980 to 1993.
Andres Cuevas has contributed to the scientific and technological advancement of silicon solar cells since 1976. His work spans the physics and theoretical modelling of solar cells, the electronic properties of silicon and its surfaces, and the development of carrier-selective passivating contact technologies for a new generation of silicon solar cells. His research group at the ANU has been at the forefront of silicon PV technology for many years, with significant contributions across the areas of silicon materials, surface passivation, and device fabrication. With co-workers he has contributed to the characterisation of defects and impurities in silicon, the improvement of multicrystalline and upgraded metallurgical silicon, the determination of the fundamental limits to bulk recombination and solar cell efficiency, the development of effective surface passivation materials and techniques, the quantification of heavy doping effects, and the development of novel passivating contacts and carrier-selective conductors for high performance silicon solar cells. He has contributed to the physics of solar cells, clarifying common misconceptions and deriving theoretical and computer models to support conceptual understanding. He has collaborated extensively, both with research institutes and the PV industry.
- A. Cuevas, T. Allen, Y. Wan, D. Yan, C. Samundsett, X. Zhang, J. Cui and J. Bullock, Carrier population control and surface passivation in silicon solar cells, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 184, pp. 38-47 (2018).
- James Bullock, Mark Hettick, Jonas Geissbühler, Alison J. Ong, Thomas Allen, Carolin M. Sutter-Fella, Teresa Chen, Hiroki Ota, Ethan W. Schaler, Stefaan De Wolf, Christophe Ballif, Andrés Cuevas and Ali Javey, Efficient silicon solar cells with dopant-free asymmetric heterocontacts, Nature Energy, 2, 15031, 2016.
- C. Battaglia, A. Cuevas and S. De Wolf, High efficiency crystalline silicon solar cells: status and perspectives, Energy Environ. Sci., 9, 1552-1576 (2016), DOI: 10.1039/c5ee03380b.
- Andres Cuevas; Allen, T.; Bullock, J.; Yimao Wan; Di Yan; Xinyu Zhang, Skin care for healthy solar cells, 42nd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conf., New Orleans, 2015, pp. 1 - 6, DOI: 10.1109/PVSC.2015.7356379
- Uli Würfel, Andres Cuevas and Peter Würfel, Charge Carrier Separation in Solar Cells, IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 5, pp. 461-469 (2015).
- Andres Cuevas, Electrons and Holes in Solar Cells with Partial Rear Contacts, Progress in Photovoltaics, 22, pp.764-774 (2014).
- M. J. Kerr and A. Cuevas, General parameterization of Auger recombination in crystalline silicon, J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 91, pp. 2473-2480 (2002).
- A Cuevas, PA Basore, G Giroult‐Matlakowski, C Dubois, Surface recombination velocity of highly doped n‐type silicon, Journal of Applied Physics 80 (6), 3370-3375 (1996).
- R. A. Sinton and A. Cuevas, Contactless Determination of Current-Voltage Characteristics and Minority-Carrier Lifetimes in Semiconductors from Quasi-Steady-State Photoconductance Data, Appl. Phys. Lett., vol 69(17), p. 2510-2512 (1996).
- A. Cuevas, A.Luque, J.Eguren, and J.del Alamo, 50% more output power from an albedo-collecting flat panel using bifacial solar cells, Solar Energy, 19(5):419-420 (1982).