Tiny structures known as nanomaterials have the potential to mitigate environmental risks, and address global energy and health challenges. We conduct fundamental and applied research on the development of unique synthesis techniques and novel applications of nanomaterials. Our research spans wide-ranging applications of advanced nanomaterials, including catalysts, pollutant removal, renewable energy and energy storage, medical imaging and diagnostics, and biomedical materials. We create innovative nano applications that are sustainable at all stages of the life cycle, including manufacturing, recycling and disposal processes.
We have internationally recognised researchers with expertise in nano-manufacturing, bio-nano-engineering, nano-optics, chemical engineering, solid-state physics, electrochemistry, composite engineering, photovoltaics and solar thermal technologies. We also work with researchers from diverse disciplines, including medicine and public health. Our interdisciplinary work benefits from direct access to a national fabrication facility and other state-of-the-art research equipment at ANU.
Commercialisation of applications to deliver technological innovations to the public is one of our strengths. We have experts with first-hand experience in translating nanotechnology from the laboratory to industrial-scale manufacture.
Explore our available student research projects below and if you’d like to discuss opportunities for collaboration or funding, please email us.
- Vasanthakumari R, I.B. Shameem Banu, T Tsuzuki, Abdul Hadi (2014) “Nanomaterials: Science, Technology and Applications”, Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 938, Trans Tech Publications Ltd, Switzerland
- Afrin T, Kanwar RK, Wang X, Tsuzuki T (2014) Properties of bamboo fibres produced using an environmentally benign method, The Journal of The Textile Institute :1-7 (Accepted 28 Januaary 2014, DOI 10.1080/00405000.2014.889872)
- Kaur J, R. Rajkhowa, T. Afrin, T Tsuzuki, X. Wang (2014) “Facts and Myths of Antibacterial Properties of Silk”, Biopolymers, Vol. 101, No. 3, pp. 237-245
- Kazemimostaghim M, Rangam Rajkhowa, Kiran Annaso Patil, T Tsuzuki, Xungai Wang, (2014) “Structure and characteristics of milled silk particles”, Powder technology, Vol. 254 pp. 488–493
- Wang J, T. Tsuzuki, B. Tang, L. Sun, , X. Dai, G. Rajmohan, J. Li, X. Wang (2014) “Recyclable textiles functionalized with reduced graphene oxide@ZnO for removal of oil spills and dye pollutants”, Australian Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 67, pp. 71-77
- Jegatheesan V, Li Shu, Ho Kyong Shon, Tsuzuki T, Kuo-Lun Tung (2013) “Challenges in Environmental Science and Engineering”, Bioresource Technology, Vol. 141, Elsevier
- Tsuzuki T, “Nanotechnology Commercialisation”, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore (2013) ISBN 978-981-4303-28-6
- Shrestha U, L. Shu, V. Jegatheesan, T Tsuzuki, (2013) “Fate, mobility and toxicity of ZnO nanoparticles in water” Chapter 14 in Solutions to Environmental Challenges through Innovations in Research, Eds. L. Shu, V. Jegatheesan, A. Pandey, J.Virkutyte, H. D. Utomo, Asiatech Publishing Inc, New Delhi, India, pp. 292-319, ISBN 978-8187680314
- Tsuzuki T (2013) “Properties of nanoparticulate materials”, Chapter 1 in Nanotechnology Commercialisation, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-4303-28-6
- Tsuzuki T, (2013) “Applications and market opportunities of nanoparticles”, Chapter 2 in Nanotechnology Commercialisation, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-4303-28-6
- Tsuzuki T, (2013) “Commercial scale production of nanoparticles”, Chapter 4 in Nanotechnology Commercialisation, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore, ISBN 978-981-4303-28-6
- Tsuzuki T, (2013) “Life cycle assessment of nanomaterials: towards green nanotechnology”, Chapter 3 in Nanotechnology for Water and Wastewater Treatment, (P. Lens, J. Virkutyte, V. Jegatheesan, S.-H. Kim, S. Al-Abed eds.) IWA publishing, London, UK, ISBN 978-1780404585, 14 June 2013
- He R, Tang B, Ton-That C, Phillips M, Tsuzuki T, Physical structure and optical properties of Co-doped ZnO nanoparticles prepared by co-precipitation, Journal of Nanoparticle Research 15:1-8, 2013
- He R, Hocking RK, Tsuzuki T, Local structure and photocatalytic property of mechanochemical synthesized ZnO doped with transition metal oxides, Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society 49:76-81, 2013
- Jazaeri E, Tsuzuki T, Effect of pyrolysis conditions on the properties of carbonaceous nanofibers obtained from freeze-dried cellulose nanofibers, Cellulose 20:707-716, 2013
- Jegatheesan V, Shu L, Shon HK, Tsuzuki T, Tung K-L, Special issue on the Challenges in Environmental Science and Engineering, CESE-2012: September 9-13, 2012, Melbourne, Australia, Bioresource technology 141:1-1, 2013
- Kaur J, Rajkhowa R, Tsuzuki T, Millington K, Zhang J, Wang X, Photoprotection by Silk Cocoons, Biomacromolecules 14:3660-3667, 2013
- Kazemimostaghim M, Rajkhowa R, Tsuzuki T, Wang X, Ultrafine silk powder from biocompatible surfactant-assisted milling, Powder Technology 249:253-257, 2013
- Kazemimostaghim M, Rajkhowa R, Tsuzuki T, Wang X, Production of submicron silk particles by milling, Powder Technology 241:230-235, 2013
- Rajmohan GD, Dai XJ, Tsuzuki T, Lamb PR, du Plessis J, Huang F, Cheng Y-B, Modifying TiO< sub> 2 surface architecture by oxygen plasma to increase dye sensitized solar cell efficiency, Thin Solid Films 545:521-526, 2013
- Verma ML, Chaudhary R, Tsuzuki T, Barrow CJ, Puri M, Immobilization of β-glucosidase on a magnetic nanoparticle improves thermostability: application in cellobiose hydrolysis, Bioresource technology 135:2-6, 2013
- He R, Tsuzuki T, (2012) “Room temperature synthesis of ZnO quantum dots by polyol methods” Chapter 10, in State-of-the-Art of Quantum Dot System Fabrications, Ed. A. Al-Ahmadi, ISBN 978-953-51-0649-4, InTech Publishing, Rijeka, Croatia, 2012, pp. 161–172
- Tsuzuki T (2012) "Lanthanides: Oxide and Sulfide Nanomaterials", EBIC2078, in The Rare Earth Elements: Fundamentals and Applications, Encyclopedia of Inorganic and Bioinorganic Chemistry, Ed. D. A. Atwood, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK. ISBN: 978-1-1199-5097-4
- Afrin T, Tsuzuki T, Kanwar R, Wang X, The origin of the antibacterial property of bamboo, Journal of The Textile Institute 103:844-849, 2012
- Afrin T, Tsuzuki T, Wang X, UV absorption property of bamboo, Journal of the Textile Institute 103:394-399, 2012
- He R, Hocking RK, Tsuzuki T, Co-doped ZnO nanopowders: Location of cobalt and reduction in photocatalytic activity, Materials Chemistry and Physics 132:1035-1040, 2012
- He R, Hocking RK, Tsuzuki T, Local structure and photocatalytic property of sol–gel synthesized ZnO doped with transition metal oxides, Journal of materials science 47:3150-3158, 2012
- Holland BJ, Francis PS, Li B, Tsuzuki T, Adcock JL, Barnett NW, Conlan XA, Chemiluminescence detection of cannabinoids and related compounds with acidic potassium permanganate, Drug testing and analysis 4:675-679, 2012
- Kanwar RK, Chaudhary R, Tsuzuki T, Kanwar JR, Emerging engineered magnetic nanoparticulate probes for targeted MRI of atherosclerotic plaque macrophages, Nanomedicine 7:735-749, 2012
- Kanwar RK, Chaudhary R, Tsuzuki T, Kanwar JR, Emerging engineered magnetic nanoparticulate probes for molecular MRI of atherosclerosis: how far have we come?, Nanomedicine 7:899-916, 2012
- Lowe A, Chu KS, Eve D, Lu L, Structural and Electrical Characterization of Doped Zirconia Nanostructured Fibres, Advanced Materials Research 545:285-289, 2012
- McCormick PG, Tsuzuki T (2012) “In Vitro Testing of Mineral Sunscreens”, International Journal of Cosmetic Science. Vol. 34, pp. 291-297
- Rajkhowa R., Zhou Q, Tsuzuki T, Morton DAV, Wang X. (2012) “Ultrafine wool powder and their bulk properties”, Powder Technology, Vol. 224, pp. 183-188
- Patil K, Smith SV, Rajkhowa R, Tsuzuki T, Wang X, Lin T, (2012) “Milled Cashmere Guard Hair Powders: Adsorption Properties to Heavy Metal Ions”, Powder Technology, Vol. 218, pp. 162-168
- Rajkhowa R, X. Hu, T Tsuzuki, D. L. Kaplan, X. Wang, (2012) "Structure and biodegradation mechanism of milled B.mori silk particles", Biomacromolecules, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 2503-2512
- Ton-That C, Foley M, Phillips M, Tsuzuki T, Smith Z (2012) "Correlation between the structural and optical properties of Mn-doped ZnO nanoparticles" Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 522, pp. 114-117
- Tsuzuki T, R. He, J. Wang, L. Sun, X. Wang, R. K. Hocking (2012) “Reduction of the photocatalytic activity of ZnO nanoparticles for UV protection applications”, International Journal of Nanotechnology, Vol. 9, No. 10/11/12, pp. 1017-1029
- Wang J, B. Tang, T Tsuzuki, Q. Liu, X. Hou, L. Sun, (2012) “Synthesis, characterization and adsorption properties of superparamagnetic polystyrene/Fe3O4/graphene oxide”, Chemical Engineering Jounral, Vol. 204-206, pp. 258-263
- Wang J, T Tsuzuki, B Tang, X Hou, L Sun, X Wang, (2012) “Reduced graphene oxide / ZnO composites: reusable adsorbent for pollutant management” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp 3084 – 3090
- Zhang L, Batchelor W, Varanasi S, Wang X, Tsuzuki T (2012) “Effect of cellulose nanofibre dimensions on sheet forming through filtration”, Cellulose, Vol. 19, No. 2, 561-574
- Afrin T, T Tsuzuki (2012) “Novel approach to process bamboo plants into UV-blocking fibers”, Proceedings of the 9th World Bamboo Congress, Antwerp, Belgium, 9-15 April, pp. 317–328
- Patil K, S. Sellaiyan, T. Lin, T Tsuzuki, X. Wang, R. Rajkhowa, S.V. Smith, A. Uedono (2013) “Positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy of mechanically milled protein fibre powders and their free volume aspects”, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Positron Annihilatyion, 19-24 August, 2012, Bristol, UK, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 443, article 012054
- Sekak K, Lowe A, Structural and Thermal Characterization of Calcium Cobaltite Electrospun Nanostructured Fibres, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94 (2), 611-619, 2011
- Lowe A, Deborah Eve Kho Siu Chu and Li Lu "Structural and Electrical Characterization of Doped Zirconia Nanostructured Fibres" presented at ICAMN II - International Conference on the Advancement of Materials and Nanotechnology - 29 November - 1 December 2010 - Kuala Lumpur - to appear in "Advanced Materials Research" 2011
- Evans PD, Morrison O, Senden TJ, Vollmer S, Roberts RJ, Limaye A, Arns CH, Averdunk H, Lowe A, Knackstedt MA, Visualization & Numerical Analysis of Adhesive Distribution in Particleboard Using X-Ray Micro-Computed Tomography, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 30 (8), 754-762, 2010
- Davies E, Lowe A, Sterns M, Fujihara K, Ramakrishna S, Phase morphology in electrospun zirconia microfibers, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 91(4),1115-1120, 2008
- Schambron T, Lowe A, McGregor HV, Effects of environmental ageing on the static and cyclic bending properties of braided carbon fibre/PEEK bone plates, Composites Part B-Engineering, 39(7-8), 1216-1220, 2008
- Huang, A., Cardew-Hall, M.J., Lowe A., “Experimental validation of sheet thickness optimisation for superplastic forming of engineering structures”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 112, (2001), p136-143.
Targeted at the rheological characterization of dispersions and other complex fluids and soft solids, the Kinexus pro rheometer has unprecedented dual-action capabilities for both shear and...
The monochromator technology used in the Infinite M200 PRO will allow discrete selection of any wavelength from 230nm to 1000nm for absorbance measurements.
The D2 Phaser is the latest in desktop analyzers that utilizes X-ray powder diffraction for qualitative, quantitative and structure analysis of crystalline phases.