Degree plans and enrolments

How do I get credit or exemptions for courses I have taken previously?

Can I take 5 courses in one semester?

If you wish to take more than 4 courses (24 units) in a given semester, you will need to request an enrolment overload. ISIS will not allow you to enrol in more than 24 units as this exceeds a standard study load.

Overload Policy

Overload Application

The College does not encourage you to overload, as it may affect your performance in courses and your ability to pass them. However, the College acknowledges that there are circumstances where overloading is unavoidable. In these circumstances, the College will consider you for an overload if you have achieved a 60 per cent average in your previous semester without sitting a special examination in that semester. The College will not approve an overload of more than one additional course.

If you wish to overload, please complete the Overload Request Form and submit it to CECS Student Services. Overloading is not a valid reason for later seeking special consideration and/or special examinations or in the case of being required to show cause due to academic progress. You must inform yourself of the dates for withdrawing without academic and financial penalty in case the increased study load becomes too difficult and you need to drop a course.

I am planning on graduating this year. Can I have my record checked to make sure I meet all of the requirements?

Send an email to

I need to take a course for the third time. What do I do?

If you have failed a course two times and need to attempt it a third time, there are several steps you need to take to get approval. This is done through CECS Student Services. You need to start this process before the beginning of the semester as it can take a week or more for the application to be assessed. Please email

ISIS wants a permission code from me?

To obtain a permission code please email

How can I add or drop a course if it won’t work online on ISIS?

If you are not able to add or drop a course on ISIS, please email for help.

I’m not sure which courses to enrol into, what do I do?

Programs and Courses contains all of the University's information on program requirements, and has course information such as prerequisites, proposed assessment, and course outlines. CECS Student Services offers appointments for program advice to students throughout the year regarding enquiries that cannot be answered from the information provided on Programs and Courses. Your questions may also be answered in the FAQs. 

If you are experiencing problems which impact upon your studies you are strongly advised to seek an appointment with CECS Student Services. Send an email, using your university email address and student ID number to

 Appointments will assist with:

  • program requirements and study plan
  • planning your program transfer
  • student exchange
  • other academic matters

When meeting with a Program Advisor, bring a copy of your study plan (this is a plan of the courses you need to take to graduate, listed semester by semester) and any other relevant information. You will not need to bring a copy of your ANU academic results.

For any enquiries regarding the teaching of a specific course, you should contact the course convenor for that course.

Updated:  1 June 2019/Responsible Officer:  Head of School/Page Contact:  CECS Webmaster